It feels like the holiday has already started as I think about packing my bags (yes bags plural) for my overnight staycation in the next few weeks. It feels joyful to pack and not to worry about liquid restrictions, how many bags I am taking and what size they are. Everything I want to take, including several shoes, they will all fit in the boot of the car. Staycations: They are an accessories, make up and shoe lovers answer to the perfect holiday.
My husband and I are going away for an ‘escapecation’ is that even a word? If not, I like it, yes, we are leaving the children for a night with overdue papering planned with their Nonna. They are also planning their day and menu for the night, much to the delight of this grandparent.
I am already dreaming about dinner.
It seems surreal to actually be going for an overnight stay away from my home, a pleasure that seemed so far ahead and a distant wish this last few months. It has not arrived without careful consideration and though but after reading the Hotels Hygiene Commitment I am delighted to be packing for my staycation at Galgorm Spa & Golf Resort https://www.galgorm.com/ourcommitment.html
I also realise my responsibility as a guest not just at the resort but anywhere I visit over the coming months!
For our family it is never really in the plans for an exotic holiday or vacation, not ‘getting away’ hasn’t resulted in disappointment. Lucky for me I have always been a Northern Ireland staycation advocate, in fact I feel I can self-award myself as a staycation ambassador! Just ask for recommendations.
Year after year as a family we seek out places to go where we know we will love the food or I have researched the food and places to eat in new places we plan to visit. This often determines where we will stay and the experiences we will enjoy. You may or may not know me by now, but you should know that I love to eat and learn about food that is familiar to me but also new flavours and recipes. This staycation is no different and I am already thinking about where I will have our mid journey break, our coffee and homemade baked item on route, what cocktail I will have on arrival and what might be on offer for dinner. Dinner for me is not just what is on offer, but the story of the food, how it is worded on the menu, where are the ingredients from, is it local?
The joy of packing for my staycation involves several outfits with consideration for the drive, the stay, the relaxation, and yes you guessed it, the dinner. I am dedicated to food appreciation and this is why I designed Toast The Coast Food Tours https://www.toastthecoastni.com/book-a-tour/, but I also love style, fashion, art and many sparkles, this influences my wardrobe choices.
Here are my top tips for staycation packing:
- Hoover & clean the car including the boot as when you open the car on the day of departure it will spark joy and you will feel ready to start your holiday. (if you can’t be bothered hire a car, clean and sparkly from Sixt and enjoy https://www.toastthecoastni.com/book-a-tour/).
- Plan you outfits around the drive, the afternoon, the evening, the morning after and work in sections across your room to organise each outfit. You never know who you might meet, is my own moto, but don’t take my word for it. “Being well dressed is a beautiful form of politeness”. Coco Chanel
- Dedicate your staycation dress to your dinner just as you would plan for any holiday where you plan your evening wear. This time you can pack extra ‘dinner shoes’ that you really want to take, you know the ones, the ones you can only walk in for 10 minutes that are only really suitable for sitting down in and admiring. Remember there is no suitcase or weight restrictions. “Being over-dressed is not a bad thing at all what’s the worst-case scenario? That you are the best dressed person in the whole room!” Rachel Zoe.
- This is your chance to pack the items you really love, that when you wear them it will make you feel ‘I am in the perfect place for my staycation’ There is no disappointment that you have to leave something behind because of suitcase restrictions, you can take them all. Very high heels, walking boots, flip flops and 4 coats for all the possible weather scenarios.
- Skincare, makeup, earrings, and unmentionables can all be packed in dedicated stylish accessory bags per category if you collect them like me.
Now where did I put that other bag!
Thanks to some local retailers I have stylish shoes, tiny storage bags and accessories for my staycation as well as some high street purchases, and of course my #EmbraceAGiantSpirit luggage tag.
Enjoy your own staycation and stay tuned for further staycation news.