Just picked or have more Rhubarb than you know what to do with? It’s what we wait for at this time of year in Northern Ireland.
This Rhubarb & Ginger cake is light, tasty and perfect at any time of the day. In fact it is perfectly served aa a sliced cake with a craft Northern Ireland Jawbox Gin, prosecco, ice, sparkling water & elderflower cordial, cheers!
Serve it warm with your favourite ice cream.
Heat the oven to 160CFan/180C/350F/gasmark4
200g caster sugar
8 rhubarb stalks (approx)
175g unsalted butter (extra for tin greasing)
100g wholemeal flour
75g self raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of fine sea salt
1 1/2 Tbsp rhubarb & ginger jam or just ginger preserve or 2 pieces of chopped stem ginger in syrup
1 Tbsp elderflower cordial or syrup
Let’s Bake it:
1. Parchment line a loose bottom 9″ tin.
2. Grease the inside of the baking tin.
3. Sprinkle some sugar on the parchment before placing in the rhubarb, this will help sweeten in sour rhubarb.
4. Cut and line the rhubarb in rows or cut up and cover the bottom with the chopped rhubarb.
5. In a stand mixer or using an electric whisk, mix the butter and sugar until creamed and fluffy.
6. Sieve all flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside.
7. Add one beaten egg at a time along with one spoonful from the flour bowl.
8. When all 3 eggs and spoonfuls of flour are in beat low until combined.
9. Use a large spoon to fold in the remainder of the flour, jam and cordial. Ensure all flour is combined.
10. Spoon mixture onto the waiting rhubarb and level out even.
11. Bake in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes, resting stiffness and clean on a skewer before taking out of the oven.
12. When removed from the oven cool for 10minutes before serving warm or let cool completely to slice as a cake.